DMCA.com Protection Status
Shape The Cube Forum

Clear items lag on Beyond

8 replies
Cube Points:
+9,630
Cookies:
Hello. I understand that ground items are being cleared on Beyond to reduce lag which is fine and I can understand why it's there but it's not something I'm that keen on. It makes me have to keep an eye on the chat constantly to make sure I pick all the items up from mining, mob killing etc which I don't really like. Is there any chance this can be made less frequent? I just feel like I have to spend far too much time worrying about losing items than necessary.

Bill
Posted Apr 3, 17 · OP
VIP++
Cube Points:
+2,545
Cookies:
+29
LEVEL 2
VIP++
It's very necessary as several of our crashes have been down to mass entities. Also just general lag on the server is usually caused by the xp/items clogging up. If you find that you forget to pick up items (much like myself) make a magnet, several mods on 1.7 have magnets so i'm sure there'll be a couple in 1.10 as well.

This is also the first complaint I've heard about entity clears. We're doing everything we can to keep the server stable when staff/mods aren't around to fix the issues. Simple clears are regular protocol for almost every server, and there are ways to work with/around them.

For example with how fast people are able to progress in Beyond people are able to get the 5x5+ mining tools very quickly, and we all know people don't bother picking up the stone/other misc rubbish. It's left on the floor and very quickly thousands upon thousands of items are sitting on the floor.

In all my experience staffing, I can comfortably say the regular clears are necessary, especially for such a new pack.
Posted Apr 3, 17
Agree
List
Undo
Staff
Cube Points:
+45,125
Cookies:
+205
LEVEL 6
Staff
Hairyy has said everything i would of. There wont be any changes regarding the frequency of the clearing of items.
2cooahi.gif
Posted Apr 3, 17
Agree
List
Undo
Cube Points:
+6,460
Cookies:
+10
LEVEL 1
<snip>If you find that you forget to pick up items (much like myself) make a magnet, several mods on 1.7 have magnets so i'm sure there'll be a couple in 1.10 as well.</snip>

Ender IO electromagnet is very easy to obtain, although you'll need an ender pearl. Other options include botania (can't remember the name of the item), Actually Additions, and I'm pretty sure there's a few more I didn't mention.
Posted Apr 4, 17
Agree
List
Undo
VIP+
Cube Points:
+1,875
Cookies:
+8
VIP+
Bullet_Bill wasn't asking for ClearLagg to be turned off, he was simply asking for it to be less frequent.

This is a request I've heard from several players actually, not just him.

The ClearLagg on Beyond is extremely frequent, like every 10 minutes or less I think. It's definitely far, far more frequent than Evolved.
Posted Apr 4, 17
List
Undo
Staff
Cube Points:
+29,560
Cookies:
+26
LEVEL 2
Staff
I reiterate what was said by Bub above: "There wont be any changes regarding the frequency of the clearing of items". Beyond is incredibly unstable enough as it is and the way it is at the moment already can cause bad enough lag but adding mass drops of items as Hairy said would just make it a whole tonne worse and this is why it is so low and not helped by the people that have left uncontrollable lag machines in the past. As long as people have magnets and stuff that can pick things up then clearlagg shouldn't make a difference.
Posted Apr 4, 17
Agree
List
Undo
VIP++
Cube Points:
+1,680
Cookies:
+1
VIP++
Iv lost a few important itmes to clear lag, but i do belive that in the bigger picture, loosing a few items by a mistake is way better than having mass item lag or even a crash caused by a lazy player who dosnt pick up grund items/xp. I have to side with the staff on this one. sorry
Posted Apr 5, 17
List
Undo
Cube Points:
+6,460
Cookies:
+10
LEVEL 1
Iv lost a few important itmes to clear lag, but i do belive that in the bigger picture, loosing a few items by a mistake is way better than having mass item lag or even a crash caused by a lazy player who dosnt pick up grund items/xp. I have to side with the staff on this one. sorry
Back in the days of Tekkit and Tekkit Lite, I lost tons of important stuff myself, namely on numerous occasions, a fully upgraded modular powersuit hand. It's painful, but you sigh and move on. (I later on became staff, and then owner of that server and it's community. I kept clearlag and even had to increase it's freaquency and adjust some settings to keep the server playable.) Better to have a playable server with clearlag running every 5-10 minutes then to have a completely unplayable one running at 1 tick every 2 seconds.
Posted Apr 5, 17
Mod
Cube Points:
+2,115
Cookies:
+7
Mod
please keep in mind it does pop up in chat before it clears and if we do make it less frequent we are at a risk of the server crashing and not even booting up and the admins might even have to do a roll back :/
giphy.gif
Posted Apr 6, 17
NoticeNotices