1 reply
VIP
Cube Points:
+5,830
Cookies:
+40
LEVEL 2
VIP
https://www.boredpanda.com/dealing-depression-answer-dan-harmon-rick-and-morty/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=dmblog
Posted Dec 1, 17 · OP
VIP
Cube Points:
+5,830
Cookies:
+40
LEVEL 2
VIP
given recent events in my life and other's life feel this post deserves a bump.

I've had depression in my life, and friends and family who suffered from depression. I've come to think of it like a parasite, because when you are depressed you end up feeling safe in your depression and change is scary. It reminds me of the zombie parasites that take control of the host's brain. Just like the one that makes mice love all things cats, or the cricket parasite that makes it drown itself. the depression "Parasite" make you avoid things to make you happy. A friend of mine literally freaked out and almost didn't go on his dream vacation (Which his sister was paying for and everything) because his depression.

Things to remember when you are depressed. You are actually in control. The "parasite" will try to convince you that you don't have the strength, time, <insert excuse> and yes sometimes that may just be the reality of the situation, but lots of the time, you do actually have the time, you do have the energy, but you have let the parasite convince you that you don't. But if you just push through the lie, you sometimes find that it is a lie, you do have the time to do that project. You do have the energy to get off the couch and spend 20 minutes on something you enjoy(other than binge watching tv).

I do wantto say, while it sounds like I am saying just toughed up, that isn't what I am saying. I know first, second, and third hand the real pain of depression. I know that feeling of helplessness. Where it feels like you couldn't get off the couch if your life depended on it. But I also know the part of feeling that crushing depression and still was able to get off the couch (granted it was to use the restroom) but if I had the strength for that then I had the strength to do the dishes.

Someone once asked what my greatness accomplishment was, my answer was all of them. putting a weight on achievements sometimes hurts when you are depressed, you look at what you have done and it's depressing you can't still do that. So instead all accomplishments are just positive and to be celebrated. Graduated college, Be proud. Got out of bed and went to work, Achievement! remember to put the seat down on the toilet, Happy Wife! Sometimes its the small victories that affect us the most, just because you do them everyday and countless others do them too, doesn't make them less important.

Try to find the light. There is something positive in everything, it might be small but its there. you just need to find the light, and the more practice you are at finding the light, the easier it is to find the darkness. Everyone has something good inside them... Even Hitler had some good qualities. You have good in you. things you do matter. and even one small act of kindness does make the world a better place.

Sometime we feel small and powerless in this world, and if your brain thinks beyond this planet it feels even smaller. but as tiny as we are in the large scheme of things... we still matter. Your influence ripples through the universe and will touch every molecule of matter that exist. Let your choices make that influence be a positive one.
Posted Sep 27, 18 · OP
NoticeNotices